Mount Meru the active (but dormant) volcano mountain located north of Arusha National Park found in Tanzania. Therefore this is the second-highest mountain and only 70 km from Mount Kilimanjaro. At 4562 meters, Tanzania’s second-highest mountain and the fourth highest mountain in Africa. However, Mt Meru ascent passes through many different vegetation zones. The dry forest of the lower region gives way to a dense mountain rainforest.
Towards the top of the mountain, the vegetation consists of heath and moorland and is then finally replace by the stunning baron alpine deserts. As the flora changes the wildlife does so too, which is diverse and equally impressive. During the ascent, you will regularly come across large games such as elephants and buffalos. Due to this, it is obligatory to be accompanied by an armed park ranger on your tour with us.
It is a popular “warm-up” trek before climbing Mount Kilimanjaro as it offers a taste of what one can expect on Kilimanjaro mountain, but it is much more than that!
- Trek in a group with porters, cooks, and guides.
- Climb through different vegetation zones over several days.
- Start your summit attempt around midnight and reach the peak around sunrise.
- You then descend an awesome 2000 meters on the same day, very similar to your Kilimanjaro summit day.
- Most importantly, at a height of 4562 meters (14967 feet) Mt. Meru requires your body to make changes to adapt to the altitude.